Including Names, occupation and Addresses


Gwennap Directory by Name 1866



Gwennap names in the Kellys Directory of Cornwall 1883  



Gwennap names in the Kelly's Directory of Cornwall 1910



Digital Library of Directories


 You will find Gwennap listed in the Redruth Directories, but search using the word Gwennap. 



Kellys Directory of Cornwall 1883

Carharrack Church Street

Some Gwennap Parish Businesses and the People who lived and worked in them in 1883


LAWRY Harriet Mrs., Shopkeeper, Coombe WOOLCOCK Wm.,shopkeeper, Frogpool

Private Residents

LAWRY Richard, farmer, Casscadden


Beauchamp-Beauchamp Edmund J.P., Trevince MANLEY Solomon, farmer, Higher Cusgarne BARNETT Charles, Elm Tree Villa
Blamey Phillip, Cusgarne MARTIN Henry, farmer, Merrymeeting BRAY Mrs, Albion place
Ham James, Crofthandy MAY Abraham, grocer, Furnace plat EDWARDS William, Carah
Magor Richard, Goongumpas MICHAEL Henry, mine agent, Tolgullow KENDALL James, Knotwell
Phillips Mrs., Rose hill MICHELL John, mine agent, Lower Trevethan RALPH Abraham, Busveale
Pryor Athanasius jun. Burncoose MICHELL William, Six Bells, Church Town RICHARDS William, Myrtle villa
Rogers Rev. Saltren M.A., vicar & hon. canon Truro Cathederal, Vicarage MICHELL Joseph, butcher & farmer, Frogpool RUSSEL Rev. Edward (Wesleyan)
Trythall William John, Lower Cusgarne MOYLE Frederick, Sexton SKEWSE John
Williams John Charles, Burncoose MOYLE George, farmer, Frogpool


Williams Miss, Treviskey MURLEY Edward, Miners Inn, Crofthandy ANDREW Sarah Mrs. Shopkeeper
Williams Mrs, Pengreep NICHOLLS James, farmer Tretharrup BLUNT Benjamin John, Butcher


NORTHEY Jeremiah, farmer, Consols BROWN Elizabeth Mrs., shopkeeper
Andrew Charles, pork dealer, Penpons North Penstruthal Copper & Tin Mine, (North Penstruthal Mining Co.) Stephen DAVEY. manager, William POLKINGHORNE, agent DOWER Mary Ann Mrs., shopkeeper
Andrew Henry, Miners Arms OATES John Henry, butcher & farmer, Hick's mill DUNN William, grocer
Andrew William, farmer, Tresamble ODGERS Jonah, farmer, Trebowling EDWARDS Wm. Carah, commercial school
Andrew William, farmer, Goverrow OPIE John, shoe maker, Church Town, ELLERY James, shopkeeper
Andrew William John, farmer, Gear PASCOE William Mitchell, miller (water) Cusgarne GUY Harriet Mrs., shopkeeper
Andrews Walter, farmer, Casscadden PAYNTER John, manure merchant, Hick's Mill HALSE James, tailor & shopkeeper
Bailey Peter, Victory Inn, Twelveheads PENGILLY Chas. manager, Trevince chemical works, Penventon JORY William, blacksmith
Bailey Thomas, shopkeeper, post office, Church Town PETERS Samuel, farmer, Gilly vale KINSMAN John, Mason
Barratt William, farmer, Trevarth PHILLIPS Hugh jnr., farmer,Manorwidden MARTIN John, Steam Engine
Beale John, agent, Tolgullow POLKINGHORN Samuel, farmer & miller, Cusgarne mill Mechanics Literary Institute, J.W. TOWAN sec.
Bennets Eliza.Mrs., farmer, Hick's mill PRYOR Athanaeius, Copper Co's. sampling agent, Bell MICHELL Nannie Elizabeth Mrs., draper & post office
Bennett John, farmer, Chycoose PRYOR Althanaesius jnr., land steward to J.C.WILLIAMS esq., Burncoose MORCOM Mark, grocer
BERRYMAN Thos., farmer, Chygenter RALPH Mary Mrs., farmer Carnmarth PENROSE William Henry, butcher
BORN William, farmer, Trebowling Vean RAPSON Mary Miss., farmer Tresamble PRATER William Williams, shoemaker
BRAY Hugh, farmer, Hicks Mill REED Henry, farmer, Church Town RABEY Martin, coal dealer
BROWN & WILLMORE, marine paint munufacturers, Cusgarne ROWE Charled Francis, Fox & Hounds, Cornford ROOKE John Richard, tailor
CANNON Nicholas, shopkeeper, Trevarth ROWSE John. miller, Point mills SHEPHERD Edward, glass mender
Cemetery (Thomas REED, clerk to the burial board) ROWSE Joseph, ironmonger & postoffice, Lower Cusgarne SIMMONS William, shopkeeper
Cathedral Consols Copper Mine, (Cathederal Consols Mining Co. Ltd,)Edward ASHMEAD Sec.; Stephen DAVEY, man.; Stephen DAVEY jnr. chief agent. ROWSE Thomas, registrar of births & deaths for Gwennap sub-district, Trevarth THOMAS Thomas Mayne, seven stars
CLINNACK Richard, butcher, Frog pool St. Aubyn United Tin & Copper Mine. John JENNINGS manager; Frederick DABB purser, TOWAN James Wallace, grocer & general shipping agent
COMBELLACK John, Shopkeeper South Trefula TREBILCOCK Richard, painter & glazier
CORNISH Thomas, farmer, Pulla South Penstruthal Tin Mine. Edward ASHMEAD sec.; Stephen DAVEY sec. TREVILLIAN William, shopkeeper
CURNOW Thomas, farmer, Tretharrup THOMAS Henry, farmer, Grambler farm WAKEM James, wheelwright
CURTIS John, cabinet maker, Comford TREGASKIS Edward, miller, Hick's mill WEBSTER Joseph, shopkeeper
DAVEY John, butcher & farmer, Vogue TREMBATH James, farmer, NINNIS WHALING John, mason
DAVEY Stephen, butcher, Ninnis TRENERRY Abraham, shopkeeper, Furnace plat WILLIAMS John, builder
EVANS Joey Mrs., farmer, Trevarth Tresavean Tin & Copper Co. Edmund HARVEY, sec; Joseph PRISK, manager; Henry BROWNE purser
FITTEN & GAZEY, fustian cutters, Little Beside TREVILION James, mine agent,


GOLDSWORTH Joseph, farmer, Lower Trevethan TREWREN James, farmer, Tretharrup GILBERT William,builder
GOLDSWORTHY Richard, farmer, Carnmarth, eastside TRYTHALL William John, draper & grocer, Cusgarne HARRIS James, Hare & Hounds
GOULD John Nicholas, farmer & Merchant, Court Farm Unity Safety Fuse Co. William BENNETS, manager, Little Beside JENKINS James, timber merchant &c.
GREEN Richard, boys school , Trevarth VEALE Henry, farmer, Trebowling LUKE William, blacksmith
HARRIS Alfred, miller, Coombe mills VERRAN John, Farmer, United Commons PEARCE William, blacksmith
HEARLE Wm. Henry, farmer & guardian of the poor, Tywarnhayle farm VERRAN Martin, Farmer, Lower Cusgarne, PENGELLY William, shopkeeper
JOHNS Arthur, farmer, Crowgey VERRAN Nicholas, farmer, Pulla Trevince Chemical Works, Charles PENGELLY. manager
JOHNS Geo., mine agent, Sparrey Bottom VERRAN Thomas, farmer, Hick's mill WHITFORD Eliza. Mrs., shopkeper
JOHNS Thos., shopkeeper, Lower Trevethan West Poldice United Tin, Copper & Arsenic Co., Wm. TEAGUE, sec. & manager; John PENHALL, agent
JORY Nicholas, carpenter, Comford Wheal Comford & North Tresavean Copper & Tin Mines, John L. PETERS, purser; Wm. RICH, manager.; Henry TREGANOWAN, resident agent.
KARKEET George, farmer, WHITE William, Farmer, Busveal
KELLOW James, farmer, Pulla Williams, Harvey & Co., Tin Smelters, chief office, Scorrier
KNOTWELL James, farmer, Trevethan Williams & son, merchants ; office Tregullow
KNOTWELL John, farmer, Busveal WILLIAMS Edward, farmer, Frogpool
KNUCKEY Mary Mrs., shopkeeper, Frogpool WILLIAMS William, carrier & farmer, Furnace plat



Kelly's Directory 1910

Spitfire Engine at Carharrack

GWENNAP is a large and populous parish and village off the road from Falmouth to Redruth, in the North Western division of the county, hundred of Kerrier, petty sessional division of Kerrier East, Redruth union and county court district, rural deanery of Carnmarth, arch-deaconry of Cornwall and diocese of Truro. Gwennap Church Town  is 3 miles south from Scorrier station on the main line and 3 miles west from Perran station on the Falmouth Branch of the West Cornwall section of the Great Western railway and 3 miles south-east from Redruth. The church of St Weneppa is an ancient building of granite in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, naïve, aisles, north and south porches and a detached tower with pyramidal roof containing 6 bells: there is a monument to James Pearrow, Gent of St Burian, ob, 1691, and John, his son, and a large number of modern memorials: the east window is to Sir William Williams bart. D. 24th March 1870, and there are others to Col. Richard Williams, d 25th December, 1867; Mrs Beauchamp Tucker of Trevince, to the Rev. S. B. Drury, a former curate, and to the Tabb family: the church was restored at intervals between the years 1863 and 1882 –91 at a cost of £800, the north porch, vestry, buttresses and the tracery of the windows being renewed and the font replaced by one of polished granite: during the process of restoration a piscine of Late Decorated work and the base of a five shafted font of Purbeck marble were discovered: in 1882 the gallery was removed and the church reseated throughout and a new organ erected: there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1658. The living is a vicarage, net yearly income £222, including 68 acres of glebe, with residence in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Truro, and held since 1906 by the Rev. John Charles Frederic Brindley B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. At Scorrier is a reading room. There are Wesleyan chapels at Frogpool, Sunny Corner, Gear and Carharrack, and for United Methodists at Carharrack and Hicks Mill. A cemetery of 2 acres was formed in 1855 at a cost of £1,200, and is under the control of the Parish Council. There are arsenic works at Point, 2 ½  miles east-by-north from the Church Town. Gwennap Pit, celebrated as the spot where the Rev. John Wesley addressed the miners of the district, is a spacious grassy amphitheatre formed in 1803, on the side of the eminence known as “Carn Marth,” and has been found very convenient for large outdoor assemblies; it has been entirely reconstructed, and is now encompassed by a wall about 8 feet high: the circumference at the top is 340 feet and the sloping sides are arranged in thirteen tiers of steps or seats about sixteen inches high and three feet wide, leaving a considerable area at the bottom: it has been found capable of seating about two thousand persons, and is now the property of the Wesleyans, who hold great meetings here on Whit Monday and other special occasions. Trevince is the residence of Edmond Beauchamp Beauchamp esq. D.L., J.P.

Dr J. C. S. Rashleigh of Menabilly, Par Station, Lt.-Col. The Hon. H.W. Hepburn-Stuart-Forbes-Trefusis, Lord Clifford of Chudleigh, the Rev. St. Aubyn Hender Molesworth-St-Aubyn M.A. of Clowance, Crowan and Edmund Beauchamp Beauchamp esq. Are lords of the manor and chief land owners.

The soil is partly granite and partly killas. The chief crops are oats, barley and green crops. The area of the parish is 6,615 acres of land and 15 of water; rateable value £14,416; the population in 1901 was 5,662 in the civil and 1,800 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Post & T. Office, Gwennap.- Henry Alfred Andrew, sub-postmaster. Letters through Redruth, by foot post, arrive at 9.15 a.m. & 7.30 p.m.; dispatched at 6.5 a.m. & 3.40 p.m.; Sundays, arrive at 10,30 a.m. St Day, 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order office. Wall letter box, Comford, cleared at 6.10 a.m. & 3.45 p.m. week days; 6.10 a.m. Sundays.

CARHARRACK is a large village 1 mile north, through which passes the mineral railway from Redruth to Devoran Quay n Key prish. The Church Mission chapel of St Piran, erected in 1884, is a building of local stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of cancel, nave, north porch and a western turret containing one bell. There are Wesleyan and United Methodist chapels, and a Mechanincs and Literary Institute.

Post Office, Carharrack.-George Buzza, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Scorrier by foot post at 8-20a.m. & 2-45 & 7 p.m.; dispatched at 8.15 a.m. & 4.35 & 7.35 p.m. St Day, 1 mile distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

CROFTHANDY, 1 ½  miles north, has a Wesleyan chapel.

SCORRIER is a place in this parish. At Scorrier is a station on the West Cornwall section of the Great Western railway. At Crowgy are the kennels of the Fourburrow hounds. Truro, Redruth, Falmouth and Helston are convenient places for hunting visitors. Here the Four Hundreds of Powder, Pyder, Penwith and Kerrier meet. Scorrier House, the seat of John Williams esq. is a modern mansion standing in beautiful and extensive grounds; the house. Which was destroyed by fire on the 29th February 1908, has since been rebuilt.

Post, M & T Office, Scorrier (letters should have Cornwall added(.- John Bawden, postmaster. Letters arrive here & are sorted for St Agnes, Blackwater, St Day, Chasewater, Mount Hawke & other surrounding places; London & all parts arrive 6.20 a.m. & 12.20, 2.35, 6.50 & 8.10 p.m. ; dispatched 5.45 a.m. & 12.8, 12.55, 6.20 & 7.5 p.m.; Sundays delivery, 7 a.m. ; dispatched 6.55 a.m. & 6.20 p.m.

Wall letter box , Tolgullow, cleared at 5.10 a.m. & 2.20 & 5.20 p.m.; Sundays, 5.40 p.m.

TREVARTH is half a mile west, and near it is an extensive bed of  fire clay. Here is a Wesleyan chapel.

TOLGULLOW is a village 2 ½  miles north-by-west in St Day ecclesiastical parish.

PENNANCE is a hamlet 1 mile west.

Parish Clerk Charles James.

Post Office, Lower Cusgarne.- John P. Richards, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Perranwell Station Cornwall, at 8.55 a.m. & 3.30 p.m.; & are dispatched at 10.5 a.m. & 4.10 p.m.; no Sunday delivery. Perranwell Station, 3 miles distant, is the nearest money order office & Gwennap, 1 ½  miles distant is the nearest telegraph office.

Wall Letter Box, Frogpool, cleared at 10.15 a.m. & 4.20 p.m. week days only.

Public Elementary School, Cusgarne (mixed), built in 1887, for 150 children; average attendance, 114; Hugh Jory Master.

This school is controlled by the Redruth & Camborne Education Committee; William mead Burchell B.Sc. Clinton Road, Redruth, clerk. 

Railway Station, Scorrier, John Mann, station master.


The Great Western Railway have a motor car service from Reduth to Falmouth, calling at Comford, on week days only.


Veale, Henry, farmer, Trebowling Olds Charles, Blacksmith
Marked thus * recieve letters through Lannarth , Redruth Verran, Richard, farmer, United Commons, Shuker Frederick William, Land Steward to John Williams, Tolgullow
Marked thus ^ recieve letters through Perranwell Station.  Williams, Edward Michael, farmer, Trehaddle  Stevens John, Shopkeeper
    Tregoning W. J. & Sons, wheelwrights



Tregoning William John, Grocer,
Beauchamp Edmond Beaucham, D.L., J.P. Trevince

Broad, Rev. John N. (Wesleyan)

Walters John, farmer, Wheal Rose
Brindley. Rev. John Chas, Frederick, B.A. (Vicar) Vicarage Carter, John, Wymans & Sons Ltd., News agents, Railway Station.
^ Ford Edmond Salway, J.P. Pengreep  Edwards, Mrs.  
Prisk John, Rose Hill James, Andrew Carndene


^ Prior Althanasius, Burncoose  Russel, Edward Nye

Jory Mrs., Elmsford

Randall, Mrs., Treviskey Trebilcock, William James, Carnmarth  Pascoe Mrs., Cusgarne House
^ Rogers Edmond Powys, Burncoose House Whaling, William Simmons William
Trebilcock William James, Carn Marth    




Allen John, Mason

Pascoe Joseph Baynard, miller (water)

Andrew Albert, Who. Butcher, Penventon Blamey Mary Jane, Mrs. Shopkeeper  Richards John Pope, farmer Lower Cusgarne
Andrew Henry Albert, shopkeeper, Post Office Church Town Brokenshire Joseph Chas., Coach builder   Rowse J. & Sons, millers (water) Higher Cusgarne
Andrew William, farmer, Goverrow & Tresamble Carbis Nicholas, Ginger beer maker Rowse Frederick Vercoe, builder, Lower Cusgarne
Andrew William, farmer, Sunny Corner Combellack John Henry, farmer Rowse Richard H., Auctioneer, Lower Cusgarne
Bailey William Lean, farmer, Church Town Johns Helen Miss., Girls School Spargo Eliza. Mrs., farmer, Challean 
Ball Annie, Mrs. Farmer, Chycoose Jolly John, Mineral water manufacturer Trythall William John, tin streamer
Barnet, Thom. Hy. farmer, Tresamble Jory Henry & Son's aerated water manufacturer  Verran Davey, farmer, Low. Cusgarne
Blake, Charles, Six Bells, P.H. Church Town Kent Grace Mrs., shopkeeper Williams Edward M., farmer, Higher Cusgarne
Burley, Richard, Shopkeeper, Frogpool Kinsman Richard, Mason  
Buzza, Joseph, farmer, Consols Lock Walter, Blacksmith


* Cemetary, (Josiah Bawden, clerk to the burial board) Pennance Mechanic Literary Institute, (Thom. Richards Sec.)  
Clinnack Richard, shopkeeper, Frogpool Odgers Joseph, Grocer  
Collins James, cow keeper, Tresamble Odgers Joseph Thomas, Carpenter  
^ Cornwall Arsenic Co. (Fred H Davey, Agent), works, Point    Odgers Rebecca, Mrs., Pork Butcher  
Curgenven Edwin, farmer, Pulla House Pelmear Elizabeth, Miss., farmer & carrier  
^ Datson, Wm. Thom. farmers, Hicks Mill Pelmear Frederick, Farmer  
* Davey, William, farmer, Trevarth Pelmear Louisa Mrs., shopkeeper  
Gould, John Nicholas, farmer, Court Farm & Pencoose Pelmear William Jnr, carrier  
Gribble, Simeon, farmer, Trebowling Green Penrose Bessie, Mrs., shopkeeper  
Hancock, Paul Towan, farmer, & landowner, Glenview Prater, Wm Williams, boot & shoe Manuf.  
Harris, Richard, farmer, Devis Ralph Wm Mitchell, painter & carpenter  
Hosking, James, Miners Arms P.H. Rooke John Richard, tailor & draper  
James, Chas., assistant overseer, Comford Rowe William F., Seven Stars P.H.  
James, David, Fox & Hounds P.H. Simmonds Richard, farmer, Ting Tang  
May, William, farmer, Furnace Splatt Slater Thomas, Steam Engine P.H.  
Mewton, Susan, Mrs. farmer, Tresamble Treweek John Williams, shopkeeper  
^ Moyle, Catherine, Mrs. farmer, Tresamble Vivian & Sons, coal merchant  
Opie, Abraham, farmer, Meadow Side


Penrose, John Nicholas, farmer, Cusvey

Private Residents

Penrose, William Hy., Butcher, Trevarth Mead Thomas G., The Cottage  
Perkins, William Thomas, Cornish Arms P.H., Frogpool   Michell Henry Ashton, Tolgullow  
Peters, Samuel, farmer, Gilly Veor Shuker Frederick William, Tolgullow  
Prophet, William Jn. farmer, Treviskey Williams Benjamin, The Firs  
Prowse, George Edward, farmer, Gilly Williams Charles Rule, Zimapan House  
^ Pryor Athanasius, Land Steward to J.C. Williams, of Burncoose Williams Edward Harvey, Four Burrow House  
Reed Henry, farmer, Churchtown Williams John, Scorrier House  
^ Richards, William Hy., farmer, Coombe  Williams Miss., Tolgullow House  
Rowe, Hy,. Blacksmith, Merrymeeting    
^ Rowse J. & Sons, Millers (water) Point, Hick's & Coombe mills


Spargo, Thomas, farmer, Tresamble Ham Alfred, Butcher  
Sunny Corner & Poldory Mine Syndicate Ltd. Harris Emily (Mrs) Fox & Hounds P.H.   
Trennery, Abraham, cow keeper, Furnace Splatt  Jenkin S & Co. Ltd., timber merchants, wood turners & steam saw mills; & branch Bond St, Redruth  
Trewren, James, farmer, Tretharrup Morcom Henry & Louise, farmers, Trevisome